Pages


Monday, April 11, 2011

Melody Mondays: The Cowboy In Me



I find that people who claim to be open to all musical genres, end up saying something like "I listen to a little bit of everything. Oh, except for country."

A lot of people I know have a tendency of largely dismissing country music. Why?

Although Mel and I have a preference for indie music and oldies, we are partial to all types of music in varying degrees. I listen to anything from punk to classical, to anything that gets stuck in my head (however annoying it may be) and am pretty fond of country.

This fondness evolved over a span of several years, back when my elder brother was living in Northern California. I spent a lot of time there and eventually acquired the love of country that he had developed.

One of my favorite albums to date is John Michael Montgomery's, "Letters From Home". Initially, I was hooked to the tittle song, however, after listening to the entire album, I loved everything about it. The tittle song, "Letters From Home" is a heartfelt song describing a soldier away at war whose letters from loved ones keep him going on. It's bitter sweat really, but very beautiful.
Though my favorite song in the album tends to fluctuate, depending on the stage in my life, as of now my favorite is "Good Ground". "Good Ground" is a beautiful song about building a home and growing up.

The album has great continuity but at the same time has diverse themes.

This album is honestly a precious jewel among jewels. It rings powerful and true to human experiences. Something like this is difficult to find these days.

Montgomery's voice is pretty great and very manly if I do say so myself.


No comments: