Pages


Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday Tastings: Top 10 Favorite Chocolates

Several of these chocolates that can be purchased in Grocery Markets and taste pretty amazing!

1. Perugina Baci
I first tried these when I was at a gas station somewhere between Rome and Florence on recommendation of an Italian woman. I'm not sure if this is true but according to this woman, when I man wants to propose to a woman he presents her with Baci.
"Baci" means kiss in Italian. These small pieces come wrapped in either a box, tube, or bag of various sizes. Once opened, each piece contains a multilingual love note.
What other chocolate tells you of love?
Besides having adorable packaging they are extremely delicious! They are made of dark chocolate with hazelnut filling and each contain a whole hazelnut.
I have a soft spot for hazelnuts.
These can be difficult to come around but I find that they are usually stocked at Cost Plus World Market.

2. Godiva Hazelnut Praline Truffle
I worked at Godiva for a short term and during that time I got very much acquainted with their chocolate which is pretty spectacular. While they do carry various excellent truffles, I have to say that this is the best one.
These are traditional Belgian praline truffles made of milk chocolate and coated in bits of toffee-coated hazelnut pieces. These can be pricey at $48 a pound but are definitely worth it.

3. Ferrero Rocher
Ferrero Rocher may be a bit cliche but that doesn't stop it from being delicious. There's something so simple yet genius about these small pieces of heaven. I'm not the biggest fan of milk chocolate but every time I bite into a Ferrero Rocher, I am forced to reconsider.

Perhaps it once was the food of the gods and is now being enjoyed by us mere mortals.

4. Milka Milk Chocolate Confection With Hazelnuts
I remember a high school friend once telling me that she loved Milka and she really wanted a bar but couldn't find it anywhere. Sometime later I stumbled upon Milka while I was shopping at Cost Plus World Market.
Milka makes several different bars and after trying most of them I concluded that this was the best one. This Milka chocolate bar is made of smooth German alpine chocolate with hazelnuts throughout.
Nowadays these bars can be found in practically any market. It's pretty amazing stuff.

5. Ritter Sport, Milk Chocolate With Whole Hazelnuts
Ritter Sport makes so many different kinds of chocolate bars and while I haven't gotten around to trying them all, this is my personal favorite as of yet.
This Ritter bar is made of German milk chocolate with whole roasted hazelnuts.

Put simply it's, "quality in a square."

6. Ritter Sport Butter Biscuit Chocolate
I ended up trying this bar when I was on a Target run, they didn't have the whole hazelnut Ritter Sport bars in stock so, I decided to buy this one as an alternative.
I was skeptical at first but the woman paying ahead of me at the cash register told me that it was amazing and that I had to get it. She said she used to eat them sporadically while she was pregnant. Since she insisted I had to try them, I did.
Needless to say, she did not let me down.
This Ritter bar is basically a wonderful butter biscuit covered in milk chocolate. Yum!

7. Godiva Dark Chocolate Truffle Gems
I got around to trying these while working at Godiva. These gems were some of my favorite Godiva pieces because of their sheer simplicity and amazing taste! The truffles come individually wrapped and are made of dark chocolate with a creamy dark chocolate ganache filling. Sheer genius.

8. Milka Alpine Milk Chocolate
My brothers brought Mel and I heaps of Milka bars (contained in cute cow cases) when they returned from their ventures in Kosovo. I must say that this alpine milk chocolate is divine.

9. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kisses With Almonds
Kisses are so plain and ordinary but that's no reason to count them out, they remain a small bundle of joy. While I do not eat them frequently, when I do, I love leaving the kiss in my mouth until it melts. The almond is an added bonus.

Ah. Plain deliciousness.

10. Twix
I'm still not too sure if this is the right choice but the number 10 spot goes to Twix. For the sake of not having another chocolate piece with hazelnuts, I've opted for Twix.

While Twix isn't necessarily the chocolate bar that I always reach out and grab right before paying at the cash register, it is pretty good.

I'm not even the biggest fan of caramel but there's something about the crunchy combination of chocolate, caramel, and a biscuit that always gets to me.

No comments: