Pages


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday Tastings: Elementary My Dear


I few weeks back, we volunteered to work the polls for the city elections. It was a pretty uneventful day. I hadn't eaten breakfast in the morning, before heading out because I'm usually never up so early. Though I wasn't in a foul mood because I made a quick morning coffee run, I wasn't the best company.

The elections took place in the auditorium of a local elementary school. I'd never even heard of the school prior to election day.

As teacher's began to pour in and breakfast was being prepared for the students in the adjoining cafeteria, our team began deliberating what we would eat.

It was a topic of great interest to each of us.

The cafeteria workers then informed us that we could purchase food from the cafeteria. Though this may seem very strange, we became completely thrilled at this notion.

We purchased our breakfast and honestly couldn't be any happier. The cardboard food tray, plastic cereal bowls, mini milk cartons, and juice boxes brought us a whiff of nostalgia. LAUSD cafeteria food is notorious for being repulsive but I hadn't eaten school food since my days in Middle School.

I thoroughly enjoyed every bite of my breakfast.

When breakfast was over, we counted down the minutes until lunch was ready. As far as school food, our lunch did not disappoint. The broccoli was severely dry and flavorless, the packaged grapes were apparently not edible, the burger buns were stiff as a board and the chicken patty was nice and bland. I couldn't be happier.

The hot sauce was exactly as I remembered it. Amazing!


With all this said, I definitely would not want to eat this on a daily basis, however, it was nice to hit up memory lane.

I was remise however, for not having been given a spork, napkin and straw packet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi I was looking online for pictures of LAUSD school food and I would like to know if I could use your image for an article I'm for a student news program. Could you please let jstudentreporters@gmail.com know that it's ok to use the cafeteria picture? Thank you!